Friday, May 14, 2010

Foursquare

Hello everyone,

Today's topic will be Foursquare, I guess you have all heard about it, actually who am I kidding, I never heard of this thing and neither most of my classmates. I thought its like a game, made up and played by four nerds, I was wrong, there are much more than just four... but lets be serious, what is behind Foursquare?

After reading about it in the web and checking many blogs which inspired me here, Im not sure I completely understood the entire concept behind it but I will try to explain (and of course, complain...)

Foursquare is a geo-location based, mobile application, which allows users, the ability to check in at any place they are visiting using their mobile phones. This "game" gives its users points for doing so and for checking in identifying new places (didnt really got that part). One big part of it is awarding badges like boy scout's badges, that happens when a user takes actions like checking in to multiple locations in one evening, or checking in to the same place several times in one week. One of Foursquare’s most appealing features is its ‘Mayor’ concept. The person who checks in the most at a certain place is awarded the title of ‘Mayor.’ I guess there is more to it, but for now that will do, cause it leads me to the annoying and pretty much unclear thing in Foursquare.

If we look at it from the location's point of view, its an efficient tool for economic and friendly marketing as more and more users compete over the 'mayor' title in order to earn more points, the locations, business places, see more customers and hopefully more money.

But what is my problem? (well, not really mine, I couldnt care less...)

If I understood correctly, and I think I did, Foursquare created a badge called “Douchebag” - I never heard of that word, so I checked, and thats what I found www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebag . Turns out Douchebag is a derogatory term. I thought Foursquare users should inspire earning Foursquare badges. Now I am sure there are many masochists out there, and Im sure some of them are Foursquare users, but why in the world would anyone want to earn a badge that labels him/her in such way? I don’t understand Foursquare’s way of thinking here. Where does insulting your users and your potential business partners fit in a business plan? you dont need to be an expert to understand it doesnt. The master-minds behind Foursquare seem to have forgot this basic logic rule while coming up with this little weird game.

If I’m missing something here, please fill me in… if I’m not, you know what to do, it’s time to say goodbye your tags and badges!

Till next time,

YV

2 comments:

  1. I dont think 4square is insulting its users, is just making the game more fun by putting badges like "douchebag"...so, it is a game, and it is about making it funnier. Because the mayor users are young people, they might find this fun... I actually find it funny. I mean, you just play with the friends you accept in your network, and you only share info if you want, so, i think, no one is getting offended here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me the "game" part can be funny, but don't actrats me so much.
    Well actually, as soon as I love the "trip advisor part" of 4Sq, as can help smal local store to survive, I will be more prone to accecpt and trust advices from the Mayor of a pub, store or restaurant.
    So i believe that the combination of those is winning. A winning business model.

    ReplyDelete